Learn authentic Krav Maga from the South Bay's original training institute!
Vanguard Krav Maga®
Krav Maga was created in the 1940's for the newly formed Israeli Defense Forces (IDF). Krav Maga was designed as a simple and effective system for a broad spectrum of individuals to learn basic fighting skills in a short amount of time.
In the 1980's various U.S. military and law enforcement agencies were exposed to Krav Maga. Over the years it evolved from a military and law enforcement system and made its way into the civilian sector by various means. Unfortunately, over time a majority of krav maga organizations present the system similar to some traditional martial arts where techniques are based only on theory and students actually do not know if they can defend themselves in a real fight.
Imi Lichtenfeld, the founder of Krav Maga, emphasized that techniques constantly be tested and refined "so that one may walk in peace." While the core principles of VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® remain the same as Imi had intended, a modern approach is followed in regards to the curriculum and teaching methods.
VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® revives Imi Lichtenfeld's original intent of Krav Maga being a simple and aggressive system that anyone can learn. VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® students have the opportunity to learn effective fighting skills that are true to the original principles of krav maga yet relevant to the types of attacks seen here in the U.S.
As an example, techniques such as defense against hand grenades are not actively taught to civilians who train in VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® because thankfully that is not a common threat on today's streets. (Hand grenade defenses and other military and law enforcement techniques are taught in special programs or on a seminar basis but not normally offered in everyday VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® curriculum.)
Additionally, while VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® follows a somewhat traditional rank structure like most organizations it does not always deliver curriculum on a traditional basis. For example, techniques such as defense against firearms are normally taught to advanced students in most organizations while VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® offers this technique to beginners in "All Level" classes. (All Level classes may be attended by beginning and advanced students.) The reasoning for this approach is that firearm threats are common on today's streets and students should have a basic knowledge of how to deal with that type of attack.
Guiding Principles of VANGUARD KRAV MAGA®:
- Simple and effective gross motor skill based techniques
- Create a training environment where every-day people of all ages and abilities can develop their full potential
- Provide a safe training environment where students can truly test the effectiveness of their skills with a "hands-on" approach
- Reality based scenarios that are relevant to what is seen in the U.S. and true to the principles of krav maga – No fake commandos; making "soccer moms" train like a SWAT team member; or "fantasy camps" where you'll train in a situation only seen in movies.
The Aim of Krav Maga as emphasized by Imi Lichtenfeld:
- To educate and build people mentally, spiritually, and physically, so that in a time of need one will be able to defend and attack with maximum speed and efficiency.
- To establish in one a sense of self-worth.
- To work towards the bringing together of hearts and ending violence around the world, between all peoples, irrespective of color, race and religion.
Multi-Tiered Training (MT2™)
Part of the vision of VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® is to constantly improve the system so that it is relevant to modern day attacks and threats. We understand that everyone has varying physical capabilities and desires for training and that the typical approach to krav maga can place limits on people and their advancement.
VANGUARD KRAV MAGA's trademarked MT2™ System is revolutionary in the krav maga, martial arts, and personal protection industry. Our training methods truly provide a path for people of all ages and ability levels to advance in the system and reach their fullest potential. Rank advancement options and guidelines in VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® are clear and defined to maintain integrity and not create a "watered-down" system.
Whether you're an experienced martial artist or a newcomer to the self defense and fitness world, VANGUARD KRAV MAGA® offers a positive and exciting workout while learning reality-based self defense. The program is designed for people of all ages, experience, and fitness levels. We invite you to try the program free for two weeks with no obligation.
Founder of Krav Maga. He was also known as Imi Sde-Or, the Hebrew calque of his name.
All Vanguard Krav Maga® participants must be 13+ years old.
- MMA Style or Harbinger Bag Gloves
- Groin Protection
- MMA or Muay Thai style Shin Guards (optional)
- Boxing Head Gear
- Boxing Gloves (Male - 16 oz., Female - 14 oz.)
- Punch Mitts
- Forearm pads
- MMA or Muay Thai style Shin Guards
- Body Protector
- MMA Style Gloves
- Knee Pads
- Elbow Pads
- Training Knife
- Training Handgun/Airsoft Pistol
- Escrima Sticks
- Padded Baseball Bat
- Training AR15 or Shotgun